Delayed growth is an issue that most parents worry about. However, the fact is that not all only children will grow tall because all of them have different genetic potential. Furthermore, there are also other factors that are known to cause delay growth in children such as lack of proper nutrition and hormones as well.
12 Causes Delayed Growth In Children
1. If your child is small for his or her age then it means that he or she experiencing constitution growth.
Most children go through this stage during puberty, but after their peers stops the normal rate of their growth proceeds on to adult hood. Their height may progress until they reach the same height with their parents.
2. Genetics is the most common factor known to cause delayed growth in children. Parents who are short and healthy are most likely to get a child who is short as well, but he child should be able to achieve the same height as his or her parents if there are no other factors that may interfere with his growth. Furthermore, slower growth in children can also be the cause of other health related issues.
3. Chronic and systemic problems are examples of health problems that are known to cause slow growth in children. That is because systemic disorder and chronic diseases may affect the liver, lungs and kidneys which are essential for establishing growth in children. Other health issues that are known to cause delayed growth in children includes malnutrition, infection and emotional imbalance.
4. Another cause of delayed growth in children is Endocrine. Endocrine is a hormonal problem and caused by hormone disorders such as hypothyroidism also known as hormone deficiency. What affect the normal growth of children is thyroid as for the hypothyroidism hormone disorder causes extreme growth. However, these hormone disorders affect the entire body of the child causing the body to grow proportionally.
5. Malnutrition is also a common factor that is known to cause delayed growth in children. However, this issue is normally caused by hunger and poverty.
That is why nutritional deficiency is highly unnoticed in developed countries. Furthermore, this deficiency causes poor adding of weight and slow growth.
6. Turner syndrome is also another common factor that is known to delay growth in children. However, this disorder usually affect girls as the syndrome is related to lack of x chromosome in their body. This particular syndrome does not only cause a slow growth rate but it also causes abnormal functionality of their reproduction system.
7. Another factor that is known to cause delayed growth in children is severe stress. Most parents are not aware of this, but children can also develop stress during their growth period. Stress cause imbalance in the child’s state of mind. This causes the body to function in a negative way causing the body not to experience any growth at all.
8. Apart from stress and other severe factors that may cause slow growth in children is dwarfism. Dwarfism is also known as pituitary dwarfism. Short statute children who experience slow growth or not growth at all may be suffering from growth hormone deficiencies. Children who are considered to be shorter than their peers who are of the same age are considered to be pituitary dwarfs, even though is not an appealing title.
9. History of family growth delay is also a major factor that causes slow growth in children. Therefore, if your family has had cases of delay in growth then your children are more likely to experience the same delay in growth.
However, the children may grow to be of the same size with the parents but not taller than them.
10. Delayed growth in children is also caused by certain drugs that are taken by pregnant mothers. According to health specialist some prescribed medication may cause delayed growth of the baby after being bong and other birth defects.
These drugs do not have to be prescribed drugs, but cocaine, cannabis, tobacco and even alcohol are also drugs that could interfere with the growth of a new born baby.
11. Sickle cell anemia is also known to cause delayed growth in children. However, this form of anemia is only inherited from parents and therefore, it is not considered to be dangerous. Sickle cell anemia can be passed on from one blood group to the other as lock the family has had cases of this is kind of problem.
12. Down syndrome is a condition that most parents are not aware of but it is also a major factor that causes stagnation in the baby’s growth. This syndrome occurs when a child has extra chromosome. According to doctors and health specialist, one out of six hundred and ninety one babies are born with down syndrome, which is a genetic condition that affects the growth of children.
Signs That Show You Child Is Experiencing Delayed Growth
Most parents do not realize this problem until it is too late. However, being able to identify the sign to stagnation in growth can help you tackle the problem at an early stage especially if the delayed growth is caused by certain medical conditions or disorders.
The first sign of delayed growth in every child is the size of the child based on this or her age. If you realize that you child is shorter than most kids who are of the same age, then it means that you child is experience delayed growth.
Another way parents can be able to identify delayed growth in their children is by comparing the child’s weight, height and the circumference of their head. If these parts do not progress do grow proportionally, then you should acknowledge the fact that you child is experiencing delayed growth. However, you cannot be able to conclude on this factor using naked eyes as doctors use a growth chart to make this conclusion.
Physical skill can also determine whether you child is progressing in growth or not. Children who are delayed in growth have a hard time sitting up, rolling over and even walking. That is because their limbs and other bone structure have not fully developed even though the child might seem health and growing strong at the same time.
How To Prevent And Treat Delayed Growth In Children
Taking the child to see the doctor is advisable if you are not sure of what is causing delayed growth in your child. Doctors or health care practitioners use certain methods to identify where the cause of the problem before prescribing any form for medication. This is achieved by first conducting tests and exams on the child.
Doctors are other health specialist will first measure the height and the weight of the child.
The heath professional may also require more information about the child such as when he or she was born, how much weight the baby had during his or her first clinic and your height as well.
Furthermore, the doctor may proceed on and measure the trunk and limbs of the baby to determine whether the baby’s body is proportional or not.
Another test that the doctor may perform is blood test. The main aim of doing this is to check for any sign of abnormality on the child’s hormones and identify any syndrome that could be associated with stagnation of the baby’s growth. These test consist of serum electrolyte level, thyroxine hormone test and sedimentation rate.
How To Treat Delayed Growth In Children
The kind of medicine that the doctor prescribes will depend on the cause of the problem. If the problem is caused by poor malnutrition, then it is advisable that you feed your child with nutritious diet in order to help him or her grow. You should also help you child relax to avoid stress which is a contributing factor of delayed growth.
However, if delayed growth is caused by a medical condition, doctors may give you prescribed medicine that will cure the source of the problem and allow your child to grow. A good example is thyroid treatment pills, which are used to treat hyperthyroidism. Furthermore, this medication is safe for your child and does not cause allergies or side effects.
Normal growth is not only achieved by use of medicine but also by regular exercise and enough rest. The body needs adequate time to grow.
That is why parents are advised to allow their children to have enough sleep. Lack of sleep causes emotional stress and hormonal imbalance since the body has not had enough time to grow.
Another way parents can help their children to grow is by use of hormone injections for growth. Children who are suffering from turner syndrome, hormone deficiency and also chronic disease can use this injection. However, the results do not show at an early stage and the results can be achieved after sometime depending on how the injection is effective on the child’s body.
Furthermore, parents should play a role in supporting their children no matter how short they might seem to be. Self-esteem makes children feel good about themselves and their body. That is because some children tend be sensitive about their height, especially those that are not as tall as their peers.
Things You Should Not Do When Helping Your Child To Develop Growth.
Helping your child to grow does not mean that you go to an extreme end of making them suffer. If your child is experiencing delayed growth because of medical condition, then you should wait for prescribed medicine to take effect before seeking medical help gain. Feeding your child excessively will not make your child grow any faster.
Even though you should feed your child with proper nutrition for enhanced growth, you should avoid feeding him or her with food that have too much calories.
That is because you might cause the child to add weight and lack to grow in the process of your helping. Furthermore, parents are advised to seek assistance from nutritionist to create a diet plan for their children.
Parents are also advised not to use medicines that can be bought over the counter. That is because different medicines contain different formulas and not all of them might turn out to be safe for your child. Doctors conduct tests and exams to identify the right cure for the cause of the problem.
By acknowledging these facts, parents can be able to help their children without causing any risks. Furthermore, you can always consult the doctor regards to the growth of your baby after getting medication. This makes it easy for doctors to track what is taking part the child’s body and prescribe more medication if necessary.