Behind every man with six pack abs and big, hard muscles is a whole lot of HGH. This is the substance that every bodybuilder is made of, in case you didn’t know. This is the reason why they have incredible strength and irresistible muscular forms. For some men to achieve this, they even take the best HGH supplements just to replace the hormones they lose with age.
What is HGH and Why Should Men Care?
Inside our bodies, human growth hormone or HGH is produced by our own pituitary gland. This, in turn, promotes cellular growth in the body. A healthy man would typically produce less than five nanograms of HGH per milliliter circulating in his blood. On the other hand, females tend to produce twice as much for the sake of child bearing.
For both men and women, HGH levels in the body reaches its all-time high during puberty, and then it drops sharply by the time they reach their early 20’s. Aside from helping with growth, HGH is also responsible for regulating certain functions in the body including:
- Body composition
- Muscle and bone growth
- Sugar and fat metabolism
- Body fluids
HGH may be a powerful hormone, but it has an incredibly short life span. Once released into the bloodstream, it only remains active for a few minutes. That gives the body’s liver enough time to convert HGH into a number of growth factors, including the insulin-like growth factor-1 or IGF-1.
IGF-1 in itself is an important hormone as it works to mediate the protein anabolic and linear growth promoting effect of pituitary GH. As far as its role stimulating growth of cartilage cells, a study done by the Schneider Children’s Medical Center in Tel Aviv, Israel found that IGF-1 works independently from the growth hormone. However, it is better optimized when its work is synergized with it.
HGH: Why Your Body Needs It
Especially during the developmental years of our lives, our body needs HGH, and for good reason. Here are some of the jobs HGH readily performs inside our bodies to help keep us going every day:
- HGH keeps your mind sharp and focused. You may owe your ability to stay focused at the task at hand to HGH. A study done by the Department of Pharmaceutical Biosciences at the Uppsala University in Sweden has shown that HGH can readily improve your memory, mental alertness, motivation and working capacity.
- HGH slows down age-related degenerative diseases. Having optimal levels of HGH means any disease of this kind that can get worse with age will slow down. That gives time for treatments to work better and for you to live longer.
- HGH makes you more excited about sex. HGH also helps you enjoy sex a whole lot more. By increasing your sex drive, this hormone also makes sure your sex life will be more exciting, pleasurable and fun.
- HGH makes you feel better about yourself. Yes, HGH is an optimist, and so much so that having optimal levels of this hormone will help you feel better about yourself. When you feel great inside, you become more confident. When you’re more confident, you can be more successful.
HGH and Your Heart: A Perfect Match
Aside from making you think better, look good and feel good, HGH also happens to be a hormone that does wonders for the heart. A number of studies have been done on the relationship between HGH and cardiovascular health, and the results are astonishing. The findings have been so impressive, some experts are now considering hormonal therapy as a treatment for heart disease.
According to Dr. Ariel David Soffer, HGH has been found to be a significant endogenous substance when it comes to the development of the embryonic heart tissue. Similarly, this hormone also plays a critical role when it comes to preventing congestive heart failure. Today, supplementation with HGH is also being studied as a possible cure for congestive heart failure.
Earlier studies found patients suffering from congestive heart failure only report an improvement in their condition with the help of a heart transplant, but recently medical research has discovered patients experience an improvement of 34 to 47 percent in most of their cardiac parameters when given HGH.
This finding has led other cardiac experts to pursue further studies regarding HGH’s future role in cardiac treatments.
HGH and Aging: Discover Your Fountain of Youth
Aside from treating various disorders in the heart, HGH has also been viewed as an effective hormone against aging. HGH is a growth hormone that helps your body keep the tissues and organs healthy all throughout your entire life.
Among adults, having optimal levels of HGH helps them increase their muscle mass, while reducing their body fat. It must be noted that having greater muscle mass is not tantamount to experiencing an increase in bodily strength.
Medical research scientists conducted another study in order to evaluate the efficacy of supplemental growth hormone on older patients. It was found that those treated with growth hormones experienced a slight increase in lean body mass and a decrease in total cholesterol levels.
On other hand, there were no significant changes in the bad cholesterol, good cholesterol, triglycerides, aerobic capacity, bone density or fasting blood sugar and insulin levels of the participants. Meanwhile, the patients also experienced unfavorable side effects such as breast enlargement, carpal tunnel syndrome, fluid retention and joint pain.
Understanding What Happens When You’re Low on Growth Hormone
Naturally, the level of HGH in one’s body declines with age; however, some men tend to lose more than normal and end up suffering from a severe HGH deficiency. Doctors have said when a person suffers from growth hormone deficiency, they tend to experience the following symptoms:
- Increased abdominal fat and reduced energy.
- Poor overall general health and a reduction in physical strength.
- Reduced physical stamina and fatigue.
- Depressed moods and a greater feeling of anxiety.
Growth Hormone Deficiency: Red Flags to Watch Out for in Your Daily Life
A growth hormone deficiency is a serious condition, as it can lead to the development of other diseases and disorders. If you are suffering from any of these symptoms, it is best to go and see your doctor right away:
- Fatigue and less strength and stamina.
- Increased sensitivity to the cold or heat.
- Decreases in lean body mass and increases in body fat, especially in the abdominal area.
- Changes in the composition of your blood cholesterol.
- Reduced brain function.
- Wrinkles and dry, thin skin.
- Lower levels of good cholesterol and higher levels of bad cholesterol.
- Obesity and a higher risk of Diabetes.
- Decreased appetite for sex and problems when having sex.
- Anxiety and depression.
- Feelings of being isolated from family, friends and other people.
- Reduced bone density and tendency to develop more bone fractures with age.
- A higher level of body fat, especially in the waist area.
Low HGH: Know the Common Culprits
A human growth hormone deficiency is a clinical disorder that can cause a person to grow slower than they normally would. Among adults, this growth hormone also aids in helping the body maintain proper amounts of muscle, bone and body fat.
Having an abnormal amount of growth hormone in your body may be an indication of an abnormal pituitary gland. In other cases, however, growth hormone deficiency may also be caused by the following:
- Severe injury to your head.
- Some infections, particularly serious ones.
- A growth or tumor in your head.
- A history of pituitary tumors.
- Radiation treatments to the brain or brain surgery.
- Hormonal disorders related to the hypothalamus or pituitary gland.
- Poor blood supply to the pituitary gland.
Depending on the cause of your growth hormone deficiency, it’s possible to treat the condition naturally or with medical intervention in order to bring human growth hormone levels back up. For one thing, some men prefer to reach their best growth hormone levels by using lifestyle changes, such as getting more physical. This leads us to the next tip.
Let’s Get Physical: How Working Out and Sleeping Can Bring Up Your HGH Levels
According to a study done by the Brunel University in Middlesex, U.K., there are some physiological stimuli that are capable of initiating HGH secretion. Among these are sleep and exercise.
Everyone can use more sleep, it seems, so practice regular healthy sleep habits and make rest a priority each night. Your body makes HGH while you are sleeping, so be sure to get lots of it in order to allow your body to restore its daily allowance of HGH.
As far as exercise goes, the study found that resistance training has the most significant results when it comes to bringing about an exercise-induced growth hormone response. For this to be effective, the exercise intensity must go above the lactate threshold and last a minimum time of 10 minutes. This also means that resistance exercises that require lifting heavier loads and the least amount of possible rest time can result in the best growth hormone release.
To show what exercise can do for one’s growth hormones, Dr. Mercola and exercise physiologist Phil Campbell have come up with an exercise protocol that can be done in 20 minutes. This is believed to be capable of bringing one’s HGH level by as much as 771 percent.
The exercise routine by these medical specialists starts any sort of anaerobic exercise. Depending on you, this would be running up the stairs or hill, sprinting, biking, stationary biking and rowing. All these exercises are designed to work out your hamstrings, buttocks and quadriceps. These are the big muscles that you need to engage to trigger a release of HGH.
Keeping the exercise suggestions in mind, do a warm-up before performing any of these exercises as fast as you can for 30 seconds. Afterwards, slow your pace down for a good 90 seconds, and then pick up on pace again for 30 seconds. Do this exercise continuously for eight sets. Afterwards, take about 20 to 30 grams of protein within 30 minutes after your hard workout.
Aside from using this exercise protocol, you can also consider doing other HGH supplementing exercises, including the back squat, Olympic snatch, deadlift, Olympic clean, bench press, overhead press, chin up and bent-over row.
Exercising to bring up one’s growth hormone levels may not be ideal for everyone. For starters, an underlying medical condition may prevent one from exerting enough physical effort when doing some intense exercises. If this is the case, it might be a good idea to consider growth hormone HGH supplements instead.
Before You Take HGH Pills: What You Need to Know First
HGH releasers or supplements typically come in the form of pills and are taken daily, just like vitamins. These supplements work by aiding your pituitary gland in releasing more HGH into your body. Since the pituitary gland becomes less active as a person ages, these pills work by stimulating the said gland to produce more once again.
Although you must follow your own doctor’s advice, for best results, it is recommended that you take an HGH supplement six days a week for the first three to four months. Keep in mind that most doctors recommend taking one day off from HGH pills to allow for your pituitary gland to function without the help of any stimulation. This will keep your pituitary gland in optimal condition for much longer.
After taking this supplement for three to four months, doctors suggest you abstain from treatment for about a week to 10days before taking them again. This would allow for the growth hormone receptor sites in your body to take a much needed break.
As with any other supplement or medication, always consult with your doctor before you begin taking growth hormone supplements.
Best HGH Supplements on the Market Today
That said, there a number of HGH pills in the market today, so you shouldn’t have a hard time finding the best HGH supplement for yourself. Although they do not contain HGH, they can encourage your body to make more of it.
Here are some of the best growth hormone supplements you can readily buy today:
- HGF-1: This supplement by XPI is said to contain a blend of patented ingredients that make it one of the best HGH supplements for building muscle.
- Growth Factor-9: This supplement by Novex Biotech also contains secretagogue, a substance that promotes your body’s secretion. It also improves your overall mood and health, while helping to speed up your recovery process after every workout.
- Avatropin: This is an HGH supplement that is suited for both men and women. It also contains ingredients such as Forskolin, TonalinCLA and alpha lipoic acid that stimulate weight loss.
- Invigorate HGH: Invigorate is one of the best HGH pills around if you want to get stronger and healthier while increasing your sexual appetite. This supplement contains a potent blend of ingredients that increases your libido and maintains erections.
- GH Stack: This HGH supplement works with your body to increase your natural production of HGH. Not only that, it also promotes lean mass gain while helping you shed off unwanted fat.
- Growth Factor Plus: Recommended as one of the best HGH supplements for height development, this pill is said to be an ideal alternative for those seeking supplementary growth hormone without using an injection.
- HGH Complete: This supplement has a formula to help increase your body mass and energy, while improving your recovery after a high-intensity workout.
What’s for Dinner: Boosting Your HGH Levels Naturally With Food
If you don’t feel comfortable about the idea of taking pills, perhaps you can take a more holistic, natural approach to supplementing the HGH that is already in your body. Here are some HGH-promoting foods you can pick up the next time you do your groceries:
- Soybeans – These are rich in L-arginine, which are capable of increasing your hormone levels just 30 minutes after ingesting them.
- Fava Beans – These beans are known to be a good source of L-dopa, which stimulates the pituitary gland to increase its own production of HGH.
- Yogurt – Aside from being rich in disease-fighting probiotics, yogurt also happens to be rich in amino acid glutamine. Just a small amount of yogurt can significantly raise your HGH level.
- Fish – Studies have shown that there is a link between a vitamin D deficiency and low hormone levels. To get greater amounts of this vitamin, opt to have your fish raw. That’s right, keep taking your sushi and sashimi.
You can also spend more time in the sun to get your vitamin D, but be sure to go out in the early morning or late afternoon to avoid the strong rays of the midday hours.
- Pineapple – This tropical fruit is full of natural substances that promote the release of melatonin and serotonin in the body at night. Together, they encourage HGH production in the body.
- Goji Berries – Aside from being rich in nutrients and minerals, these berries also contain compounds called sesquiterpenoids. They stimulate the pineal gland to increase its HGH production.
- Grassfed Beef – This kind of beef is packed with bio-active amino acids such as carnitine and coenzyme-Q10, which help increase one’s HGH production naturally.
- Eggs – This breakfast favorite is rich in a number of growth factors such as essential amino acids, DHA, EPA, peptides and vitamins A, E, D, K. Together, they increase the amount of HGH your pituitary gland normally produces.
- Parmesan Cheese– The next time you have pasta, go ahead and grate a bit more of this cheese on top. Organic parmesan is rich in peptides, which readily stimulate HGH production in the body.
- Raisins – Another good reason to snack on this dried fruit more is that it is rich in L-Arginine which readily encourages growth hormone secretion. At the same time, it also brings up one’s testosterone levels naturally.
- Beets – Since beets are alkaline, they help improve the functioning of the body’s hormonal system. Hence, it also aids in increasing one’s HGH production.
- Nuts – Just like raisins, all sorts of nuts are also rich in L-arginine, a substance which can readily boost one’s HGH levels naturally.
- Whey Protein – Whey is naturally high in amino acids which helps stimulate muscle growth. When you buy your whey protein powder, though, be sure to get the kind that doesn’t contain harmful fillers, coloring agents or sweeteners, such as acesulfame Kor aspartame.
- Watermelon – Aside from a refreshing treat during hot summer days, watermelon is also rich in a kind of amino acid known as L-citrulline. Your body converts the L-citrulline into arginine, which helps increase your HGH production naturally.
- Gelatin Desserts– The key substance in gelatin is L-glutamine. It is another kind of amino acid that studies have found to increase HGH production effectively.
- Lemons – Just like beets, they’re one of the most natural alkaline foods. This is precisely why it is able to increase HGH levels in the body naturally.
- Raspberries – These little red berries are rich in melatonin, which can readily increase one’s HGH production by as much as 157 percent. Go ahead and take a handful with your breakfast.
- Coconut Oil– Highly nutritious and beneficial to the body, coconut oil was found to be capable of increasing a body’s HGH production naturally just 30 to 90 minutes after it was ingested.
- Raw Milk– This kind of milk is a favorite among bodybuilders for a good reason. It is naturally rich in compounds that readily increasing HGH production in the body.
- Colostrum – Colostrum is the highly nutritious substance present in breast milk the moment a mother gives birth. It is rich in substances that can improve a baby’s immune system. For body builders, the amino acids and peptides in colostrum also help boost HGH production.
To start adding colostrum to your diet, you can take colostrum powder, which is readily available in most health stores. In addition, it is also available as a dietary supplement.
- Raw Chocolate – This kind of chocolate is rich in tryptophan. It is a natural substance that stimulates the pituitary gland to increase its production of HGH as well as dopamine. Tryptophan also improves your sleep quality and because of this, your HGH levels will also improve.
- Water – Believe it or not, one of the best ways to keep your hormonal system in optimal condition is to regularly stay hydrated. Takes lots of water to help increase your HGH levels naturally.
HGH is a necessary hormone for your body to help with cell regeneration and growth. To boost your HGH levels, you might want to consider some of the best HGH supplements in the market or take some foods that bring your HGH levels up naturally. Whichever you go for, be mindful of any allergic reactions or side effects that you might experience.